Is the beltline near Hillsborough Street always this scary?

Nate Buchholz @flippedonce · East RaleighMar 24, 2026, 4:51 AM

Hey everyone, Finn here. I just moved to Southeast Raleigh and had to drive up I-440 yesterday to go to the farmers market on Lake Wheeler, and then up to Blue Ridge Road.

The lanes on the beltline feel so narrow with those temporary concrete barriers on both sides. I felt like I was driving in a video game. Is it always like that, or is there an active construction project that I managed to get stuck in? I was pretty stressed out by the time I parked.

one and done

5 replies

Aaron Kessel @gutterguy_no_really · ApexMar 24, 2026, 5:24 PM

It has been like that for quite some time, Finn. The widening projects on the western side of the beltline seem to drag on for years.

I remember when I-440 was just two lanes in each direction with a wide grass median. It felt much safer then, and you could actually see the trees. Now they are cramming as many lanes as possible between those concrete walls, and there is no room for error.

water is the enemy

Bernice Latham @oldhouseowl · MordecaiMar 25, 2026, 6:56 PM

Those concrete barriers are a nightmare for average drivers. The contractors love them because it keeps their work zone safe, but it gives you zero room if someone drifts into your lane.

If you clip one of those barriers, you are looking at thousands of dollars in body shop bills. I always stay in the middle lane through that stretch and let the aggressive drivers speed past on the left.

since 1978

Finn Alvarez @firsttimefinn · Southeast RaleighMar 26, 2026, 9:15 PM

The glare off those barriers during a summer afternoon storm is terrible. You cannot see the yellow lines when the water starts pooling. I almost hit a stray ladder in the middle lane near Glenwood last month.

first house, many mistakes

Opal Stroud @backyardchickens · RolesvilleMar 27, 2026, 2:47 AM

The real danger there is the poor drainage design during the construction phases. Because they have those temporary barriers up, the normal highway runoff is blocked.

The water cannot sheet off the road properly, so it pools in the low spots of the lanes. If your tires are even slightly worn, you will hydroplane. Always check your tire tread depth before driving on the beltline during our summer storms.

six hens strong

Chris Yandle @cul_de_sac_chris · WakefieldMar 28, 2026, 2:17 AM

Wow, thank you all for the warnings. I am glad it was not just my imagination. I will definitely check my tires and maybe take the side roads through Dorothea Dix Park next time to keep my stress levels down.

the lawn is fine