I-540 Southeast Extension construction and what it is doing to our Apex/Garner runoff

Frank Osei @foundationfrank · GarnerJul 17, 2026, 11:07 AM

Is anyone else in southern Wake County watching the NCDOT grading work on the new I-540 extension with absolute horror?

They have scraped away acres of pine trees and natural ground cover, leaving nothing but bare red clay baking in the sun. Every time we get a typical summer thunderstorm, all that water has nowhere to go. My property in Apex is downstream from one of their major clearing zones, and I have already had to re-grade my entire northern fence line.

They are building massive embankments, but until they put down seed and straw, we are all going to get washed out. If you live anywhere near the path from Ten Ten Road down towards Garner, you need to check your swales right now.

watch your cracks

6 replies

Aaron Kessel @gutterguy_no_really · ApexJul 18, 2026, 1:21 AM

Aaron, you are speaking my language. That red clay acts like a concrete slab once it gets compacted by heavy machinery. The water cannot penetrate the soil, so the runoff volume increases exponentially.

When that water gets pushed toward residential crawl spaces, the relative humidity under your house spikes. Once you cross that sixty percent threshold, you are just waiting for wood-destroying fungi to move in. I have seen three houses near the new Garner alignment this month already showing elevated joist moisture. Keep an eye on your foundation vents.

water is the enemy

Bernice Latham @oldhouseowl · MordecaiJul 18, 2026, 11:38 AM

This is so different from what I am used to. Up in Massachusetts, we had very strict state drainage basins built before they even started laying the main highway lanes for the Mass Pike extensions. Does the state of North Carolina not require retention ponds during the active construction phase?

Also, as a newcomer, is the daily commute on 540 actually worth the tolls once it is finished? I am trying to figure out if I should plan my route to Brier Creek around it.

since 1978

Finn Alvarez @firsttimefinn · Southeast RaleighJul 19, 2026, 3:21 PM

Tolls are stupid high if you use them every single day. That Ten Ten backup is brutal now though. It smells like hot asphalt and diesel fumes out there every morning at seven in the morning. I am tired of looking at orange barrels.

first house, many mistakes

Opal Stroud @backyardchickens · RolesvilleJul 20, 2026, 8:45 AM

We had similar mud issues up in Rolesville when they cleared the land for the new subdivision behind my property. I had to build a raised timber trench just to keep the chicken run from turning into a swamp. Opal here, and my advice is to do what Aaron did and handle your own yard first. You cannot wait for the state or the developers to fix their mistakes!

six hens strong

Chris Yandle @cul_de_sac_chris · WakefieldJul 20, 2026, 2:58 PM

The NCDOT website says the drainage basins are scheduled for completion by next spring.

the lawn is fine

Cara Lindqvist @newenglandtransplant · Brier CreekJul 20, 2026, 6:04 PM

Spring is too late, J. Pou. We have the peak hurricane season coming up in late summer and those clay embankments are going to melt like sugar.

Cara, to answer your question, the state does have plans for retention ponds, but they do not always maintain the temporary silt fences during active grading. I spent all of Saturday digging out my French drain outlets because they were packed with construction silt. If you want to protect your foundation, you have to be proactive.

still learning the clay