Stihl MS 391 chainsaw and safety gear - Wake Forest

Jolene Pratt @mastergardenerjo · HedinghamMar 27, 2026, 2:08 PM

Upgrading my setup before the late summer storm season kicks in. Selling a Stihl MS 391 chainsaw with a 20 inch bar.

I have kept it clean, run only ethanol free fuel in it, and sharpened the chain recently. I am throwing in a pair of heavy duty protective chaps and a safety helmet with a face shield. If you have big loblolly pines on your lot in Wake Forest or North Raleigh, you need to be prepared, but remember to never cut anything above shoulder height yourself. Hire a climber for the big jobs.

Asking three hundred and fifty dollars for the whole package. Pick up in Wake Forest.

clay is just soil with opinions

7 replies

Tina Okoro @taxappealtina · North HillsMar 28, 2026, 7:16 AM

That is a serious saw, Wes. I usually keep a smaller one in the back of the truck for clearing minor branches off the neighborhood paths near Neuse River when the creek levels rise after a big thunderstorm. It is always good to have a reliable saw ready before the hurricanes start tracking up from the coast.

ask me about comps

Gregg Hoyle @greenwaygregg · HedinghamMar 28, 2026, 5:32 PM

My HOA in Cary would have a collective aneurysm if I started revving up a MS 391 on our shared patio. I will stick to my battery powered hedge trimmer for our tiny garden bed, but that price is solid for anyone with an actual yard.

check the gauge

Wendy Kirk @woodstovewendy · Wake ForestMar 28, 2026, 6:05 PM

My dad always said to check the chain brake mechanism carefully on any used saw before you even start the engine. He saw too many nasty kickback injuries during his years inspecting residential builds because people neglected basic safety features on their equipment.

sweep your flue

Nate Buchholz @flippedonce · East RaleighMar 29, 2026, 6:40 AM

If you do buy this to clear storm damage, remember that your homeowners policy might have specific terms regarding tree removal. Insurance typically covers removal only if the tree lands on a covered structure like your roof or fence. Always document the damage with clear photos before you start cutting anything up with a saw like Wes is selling.

one and done

Bri Tolliver @solarcurious · North HillsMar 30, 2026, 1:02 AM

Kayla, tell your dad he is absolutely right. The chain brake on this Stihl works perfectly and I test it every time I start the unit. Andy is spot on too, do not touch a fallen tree until the adjuster has signed off or you have dozens of photos.

still researching

Andy Rowe @adjusterandy · KnightdaleMar 30, 2026, 4:16 AM

I made the mistake of buying a cheap gas saw years ago and the carburetor gummed up within six months because I used regular pump gas with ethanol. I went to a corded electric model for my small yard in Cary and it is far simpler, though obviously lacks the power of a Stihl. If you buy Wes's saw, stick to the ethanol free fuel from the station near US 1.

not your adjuster, just an adjuster

Mike Ferrell @hoaboardmike · WakefieldMar 31, 2026, 5:51 AM

Great saw. My brother has the same model and it runs forever.

not speaking for the board